Audiobook Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, and Margaret Stohl 

Published: December 1st, 2009
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

Series: Caster Chronicles #1

Genre: YA, Fantasy
Format: Audio book

Purchase*: Barnes and NobleAmazon

Add on Goodreads


Rating: 4.0



Summary:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

My Review: 

I am not the person  who likes to listen to audio books, I prefer books, because its faster . I saw the reviews for this book and how they were in between positive and negative, so I put it away to my "maybe" pile. After the movie come out, I went to see it and I was really surprised of how much I actually liked it, but when I went online and saw all of the negative reviews and of how the book is better, I decided to read it, but my friend had an audio book and she told me it is a lot better to listen to it, so I did. 

 I really enjoyed the narrator,Kevin T. Collins, that read the story, his voice was really pleasing. I really liked the audio effects, it made it easier to imagine the scenes from the book. So the audio in a book itself was amazing, in my opinion. The only thing that I had trouble with is the dream sequences. The audio at dream parts were really low and I had trouble hearing what they were saying. Now about the book...

  The book started out really slow to me, well actually the whole book was slow. It took me awhile to listen to it. The plot in a story was really good, I really liked stories about witches, an this one was just really interesting. looking at that I don't know why it was slow to me. I just feel like she could of made it a lot faster or to put more action. Only in the about in the end of the book is were everything happened. But if I look at different point at the book, if she made it faster, we would of have missed a lot of details that are needed to finish the series. So I get why she put so much details, and I also get why some people didn't even finish the book. 

  Now the characters, Overall I really like the characters in the story, especially Ethan. Ethan Wate is one of the main characters in the book. He lived in a small town in Gaitlin. Were everything goes by old times, and everyone does what expected of them. But not Ethan and especially not after mysterious Lena comes to town, and in Gaitlin everyone who comes is is automatically an outsider and not excepted. Ethan is a great narrative, his actions and feeling felt real to me. He doesn't try to be like everyone else, he is different and his own person. He is determined, sweet, a little optimistic, and protective. I loved his character, while Lena...Lena, Lena, Lena why are you so ugh? I just didn't really liked her. It annoyed me how she keep saying "I'm going dark, I'm going dark, I'm going dark" Like seriously? Have a little faith. Her character, or maybe its just the personality author give her, I didn't connect to. I connected more to Link than her. By the way I loved Link too! He is just such a good friend, he was still with Ethan when everyone turned their back on him. So his character was great! Everyone was great except Lena.

So overall, I am not sure what to feel about the book. At times I really enjoyed it, at times it felt slow to me and at times I wanted to just stop listening to it, but I am glad that I didn't. I recommend to try listen to audio book i you can't finish the book.  I will definitely try to finish the whole series because I really liked were the story was headed.





3 comments :

  1. I haven't read this book and the movie, but I want to. I have the movie though, but I want to read the book first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see a review that explains their opinion well. Personally I loved the books, the movie not so much. I have a slight pet peeve and that's when they mesh characters together for the sake of just doing it so I couldn't really get on board the Beautiful Creature Movie Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first audio book review I've seen! I still want to check it out, but I will read the book, I'm not too keen on audio books either :)

    This is Kayla Arnold

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »