Review: Left Drowning by Jessica Park

 Left Drowning by Jessica Park

Published: July 16th, 2013
Publisher: Skyscape

Format: E-book, Paperback, Audio
Pages: 399 (Paperback)

Genre: NA, Romance

Ages: 17+
Source: Netgalley

Purchase*: Barnes and NobleAmazon


Add on Goodreads



What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

*This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.









  From the very first page I was hooked. I couldn't put it down, I just kept on reading and reading it! The last time I felt such a strong emotions was after reading Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. Left Drowning was just an amazing read, it was brilliant and full of emotions. Left Drowning is just the type of book that has so much to it, the kind you can read and read with the loss of time. 

    "This book is for everyone who has survived. You are not broken. You can love and be loved, despite what may feel like the eternally brutal nature of the world. Even when you're drowning and so far under, there is always time to reach for someone who will teach you how to breathe again."

  The story line in Left Drowning is just beautiful. It not only focuses on romance but also on friendships. It is a heartwarming and also heartbreaking. It tells a story of loss and pain and guilt, also forgiveness,  and finding something to live for. Left Drowning has so many moments that just make you cry and laugh with the characters. I loved how in this book not only the boy comes to rescue but also the girl. This book is literally what you call an emotional ride. One moment it feels like everything is alright and the next you feel devastated. Blythe and Chris really showed me what true pain is. Jessica Park just describes everything so clear and so natural in a way that you felt it, like their pain was your own. That is one of the reasons I couldn't stop reading, I just wanted to keep on feeling and see what is going to come out out of this beautiful tragic like story.

  "I want more than anything for the power of us together to be stronger than the power of the damage. If I still believed in God, in anything, I would be praying."

  The character in this book were amazing. Every single character felt so real, and it made you wish they really existed. Blythe, she is depressed, lonely and numb. She thinks she deserves the pain, she blames everything that happened on herself. Everything in her life shattered and even when she tries to pick out the pieces, she just starts to bleed again....until Chris, he is someone who she sees as her savior, he is someone who teaches her to live and breath again. But Chris is drowning himself, and Blythe doesn't know if she can save her savior the way he saved her. I loved Blythe, even tho she was broken, she tried to live. Her development as a character and a person were just wonderful. Chris, I really really loved him, he was the one who put his loved ones before himself. But sometimes he was an idiot...but even though he made some stupid mistakes, I just couldn't help but understand him. Also how could I not love Shepherd's, I mean I wish I was in that family. There just so true to one another, their relationships was just something you don't see often. The personalities of each character were so different but that's what made them so lovable. 


 "I am hit with the enormity of the impact that this family is having in my life. They, and mostly Chris, are saving me. Or teaching me to save myself."

  The relationship between Chris and Blythe was just something extraordinary. Both in pain because of their past and both afraid to live. The kind of relationship that you just want to work. 

 "Some people describe certain physical connections as being like electricity. Sparks flying. When Chris and I touch, it’s different. I think of the feel of water. The way it is when you wade into the ocean and a small wave cascades against you, swirling sand over you and awakening every pour."

Honestly for me the story was not that unpredictable, there were some things that I didn't see coming but there were little of them. Even thought I knew how it all will connect in the end, I still kept reading the book, because I just couldn't stop. I would highly recommend to read it. For everyone who love new adult genre, and it is not for people under 17, because it does have some really hot and steamy scenes.
     


9 comments :

  1. Thank you for your review, I had seen this book a few times before when I was shopping for new books but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I think I'm gonna give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a try! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I keep hearing such great things about this book. I know it is one that I'll love. Thanks for your great review and convincing me to bump it up on my reading list. I love these emotional books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love emotional books, you'll definitely love this one(:

      Delete
  3. My best friend told me to check this book out but, I wasn't really sure until I read your review. Thanks so much for making me want to take this emotional ride. Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great. I really like that first quote. It's very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haven`t read it yet, but sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »